How can it be that this young man is now 21?
How well I remember waking at 2:15 that December night 21 years ago. I didn't feel well but didn't think I was in labor. Less than two hours later, at 4:05, I held another baby boy in my arms, and midwife, Alice, was covering me with blankets to try and control the chills that accompanied that speedy birth. Thomas came so fast, delivered by that able midwife through a loop in the cord that was wrapped tightly around his neck. As soon as he knew our little one was OK, Coty, holding 5 year old Erin, burst into tears of relief. He'd been fully aware of what was going on as Alice and her helper worked hard to bring our second son into the world.
And since coming on the scene in such a dramatic way, Thomas has continued to make his presence known and felt as...
-a 4 year old with a gravelly voice and brownie batter all over his face,
-a fearless 7 year old mounting his bike like a cowboy mounting a galloping steed,
-a 13 year old white boy wandering around an African market or "hunting" in the bush with his Cameroonian buddies,
-a 16 year old football running back who never quit and set a positive example on and off the field,
as a brother, cousin, friend, boyfriend, grandson...
and for this very grateful mother, a dear son who brings a smile when he says things like, "Hello, beautiful mother" and "I would be happy to serve you." How did I get such a son?!
Happy birthday, Thomas! I am thankful, proud, delighted, blessed beyond words to be your mom.
And since coming on the scene in such a dramatic way, Thomas has continued to make his presence known and felt as...
-a 4 year old with a gravelly voice and brownie batter all over his face,
-a fearless 7 year old mounting his bike like a cowboy mounting a galloping steed,
-a 13 year old white boy wandering around an African market or "hunting" in the bush with his Cameroonian buddies,
-a 16 year old football running back who never quit and set a positive example on and off the field,
as a brother, cousin, friend, boyfriend, grandson...
and for this very grateful mother, a dear son who brings a smile when he says things like, "Hello, beautiful mother" and "I would be happy to serve you." How did I get such a son?!
Happy birthday, Thomas! I am thankful, proud, delighted, blessed beyond words to be your mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment