Monday, January 05, 2009

Vocabulary

Who called SAT prep work "grunt work"?

Oh, yea, I did. After an hour of work with Matthew, I recant. "Grunt work" is a misnomer, at least when it comes to reviewing vocabulary. I have thoroughly enjoyed this last hour of dipping into the dictionary with Matthew to look up some of the wonderful words out there that find their way into SAT questions. The review book calls them the "tough" words. Like:

abstemious, effervescent, and dauntless

amity, clemency, and euphony

efface, expedite, and atrophy

acquiesce, capitulate, and confound

burgeon, cohere, and distend

and my favorite from today's review....antediluvian.

I hope he feels the same way - happy, that is, about studying words. If not, at least he has a convivial teacher. Look it up.

3 comments:

The Future Mr. Adams said...

My favorite activity, looking up words!

I'm proud to say that I know all on your list, though...=)

Jayne said...

I love the joy of wrestling vocabulary into my children's minds. It is like putting a square peg into a round hole, sometimes. I remember, my mommy having to do that with us and the joy of watching my baby sister learn the word THE as a sight word and now the children of mine watching me wrestle my emotions to wrestle their minds to learn new words is priceless. Thank you for reminding me of these precious memories. I need to get on the bandwagon, again. :(

Amber Benton said...

Missed you this morning - the sky broke open and everything poured out just before you were to arrive! I can see from the blog we have much to catch up on! Much love until...