Monday, January 12, 2009

Break - really and truly over

The quiet has
d
e
s
c
e
n
d
e
d.

The last child bound for a far away place left this morning. Our long awaited, much anticipated, thoroughly enjoyed, lovely lengthy, memory filled Christmas break is now officially over.

Coty took Thomas up the road a piece this morning to meet his roommate for the ride back to Covenant. He told me that when he left Thomas, he cried a little. My sweet husband - when he told me that, I choked up, too.

Why did you cry, sweetheart? What was it about saying good-bye to this son that brought tears?

I think for both of us it's just that Thomas's departure marks the end of the time we had so much looked forward to, the time of having all of our children (plus) home together. A time that is not likely to be repeated any time soon has come to a close. Sad.

Everyone is scattered now - in all directions. Erin and Luke to the north, Andrew to the south, Jonathan to east (the Middle East, that is), Thomas to the west. (And k dear, I'm counting you, too - another westward flying dear one).

Our children are grown and growing. Adults and near adults making their ways in the world. How does a mother hold them close in her heart and let them fly? With tears and sadness, with hope and thankfulness, with prayer....

...and email and skype and phone calls and letters and care packages (yes, college boys, I'm turning over a new leaf), with pictures on my bulletin board of each one so I can look at their precious smiles every single day...

Oh my, this growing up thing is hard on a mother sometimes.

Young moms, hold your little ones tight, shower them with hugs and kisses, make their favorite dinner, bake a pie just because, walk in the woods and throw rocks in a stream, sit down and play a game, laugh at their jokes, read books out loud, rub their backs, cherish, cherish, cherish....

I've still got two boys at home. I've got lots of mothering to do at close quarters, lots of hugs every day, lots of shepherding yet, and driving and soccer games and jokes and wrestling (to watch, not do). Lots of schooling still and getting driver's licenses and more. Good thing. I am not ready for the empty nest yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post has me teary at my cubicle this morning...

Anonymous said...

Me too. I am preparing to say goodbye to my Dad today who flies back to the UK after a precious 2 weeks with us. It's hard to love so dearly and then say goodbye. It is another reason to look forward to heaven, when we will have fellowship and love without the goodbyes and absences.

I am going to play, hug and walk with my 3 little ones today all the more.

Jen U. said...

Thank you for the reminder Beth.... to love on our little ones. I try hard not to forget that but always need to make more effort to make the most of each new day. Your posts always help to encourage me in that.

Bryan and I were just looking last week at the picture of your entire family from Christmas and commenting on how when we first met you guys everyone but Erin was at home. Now you are adding more girls to your family. ;-) It's really sweet and fun to watch your family grow in this special way.

We are looking at buying a house again. It's 2 story country looking (farm type) house with a full wrap around porch and full basement, a little more out in the country than we are right now. It sits on 3 acres. We are hoping this will be our last purchase for quit a while and as we have been searching to buy again we have been thinking into the future, trying to find a home that would be good one to finish raising the kids in. A place where we can accomplish the things we hope for in these upcoming years. It seems strange to think that way- but Houston will be 12 in March and I know your season of life will be before us before we know it.